Position Title: Community Development Coordinator
Reports To: Jade District Manager
Hours: Hourly/Full time (40 hours per week)
Compensation: $18.86/hr-$21.25/hr based on experience
Benefits: generous 90% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K plan, subsidized transit pass, work from home stipend, professional development opportunities, paid time off starting at three weeks per year, up to 14 paid holidays annually, and flexible family-friendly schedule.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About APANO CUF:
APANO Communities United Fund (APANO CUF) is Oregon’s oldest and largest statewide Asian and Pacific Islander (API) organizing and advocacy group, with a legacy of policy wins and innovative community programs. APANO CUF is a 501c3 organization, affiliated with APANO, a 501c4 organization, working to achieve our larger vision of a just and equitable world where Asians and Pacific Islanders are fully engaged in the social, economic and political issues that affect us. APANO CUF’s key strategies are organizing, leadership development, civic engagement and policy advocacy, and cultural work. We are organizing and uniting low-income, limited English proficiency, immigrant and refugee API communities, activists, and allies statewide in order to improve opportunities and prosperity for all Oregonians. We increasingly work at the intersections of oppression, are committed to shifting the balance of power, and striving for systemic change in solidarity with communities experiencing oppression.
About the Jade District Program:
The Jade District is an economic and community development program housed at APANO CUF, that serves businesses and residents at the center of some of Portland’s most vibrant international and multi-ethnic neighborhoods. The area is a part of the City’s Neighborhood Prosperity Initiative, with capacity to influence investments and policy. The program focuses on community stabilization through supporting small businesses, building neighborhood leadership and advocating for anti-displacement policies.
APANO CUF is looking for a motivated and culturally responsive Jade District Community Development Coordinator to support the Jade District and community development efforts in the area around Southeast 82nd Ave and Southeast Division Street in Portland, Oregon. This position will have a specific focus on development, community outreach, organizing, engagement and maintenance of the Jade District’s social media and website presence.
The successful candidate will have a range of opportunities to develop skills, knowledge, and confidence in working for social justice. The ideal candidate is movement-oriented, and is excited to work to build a dynamic, diverse, inclusive, justice-oriented, thriving community. They will be results-oriented, responsive and responsible, self-aware, dynamic and a passionate individual who values and practices direct communication with their colleagues and team.
General Communications Support (50%)
- Serve as main social media and website content manager for Jade District.
- Create and maintain online directory of Jade District businesses.
- Help to create promotional ideas for Jade District small businesses and engage small businesses to participate.
- Keep social media (Facebook, Twitter) updated with current events relevant to Jade District community members.
- Collaborate with APANO CUF Communications team on restarting and maintaining an Instagram presence.
- Support in managing Jade District website, including content development and editing, blog publishing and general upkeep.
- Ensure we communicate in a way that is consistent with our organizational values, advance our racial justice and intersectional justice framework, and promote equity in both the content and methods of our communications
- Ensure proper compliance with c3 and c4 organizational requirements
Community Outreach, Organizing and Engagement (50%)
- Create and maintain relationships with Jade District small business owners to keep up-to-date information in Jade District business directory.
- Engage with Jade District small business owners to create promotions and events that will help drive business.
- Assist with integrating economic development projects in the Jade District.
- Assist in recruiting and managing volunteers for Jade District events, projects and focus groups
- Assist with planning and implementing Jade District community events.
- Assist in outreach and engagement with community members and stakeholders for various projects affecting the Jade District.
The ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience with communications (social media and website maintenance).
- Ability to explain technical terms and ideas to community members.
- Project management experience and community organizing experience.
- Have a solid understanding of the issues involved in organizing for justice, and a strong commitment to meeting the particular challenges facing communities experiencing oppression.
- Ability to identify, set priorities, work plan and move teams of staff and volunteers in line with established goals and strategic direction.
- Commitment to racial justice, advocacy, and community development work.
- Highly organized, attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with different community stakeholders (e.g., residents, business owners, government officials, social service providers, funders, etc.)
- Excellent team player who is also capable of self direction.
- Deep commitment to and vision for APANO’s mission and strategic plan, including an understanding of the role of grassroots community organizing in social change and movement building.
- Respect for and demonstrated experience working with BIPOC activists, and a deep understanding of issues affecting BIPOC communities.
- Experience with or understanding of small businesses, especially BIPOC and/or Immigrant owned small businesses.
- Basic skills in creating visually appealing graphics for social media.
Preferred, but not required:
- Fluent in spoken and written Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin), Vietnamese, Spanish or another language.
- Experience working with Squarespace Website Builder.
- Understand the principles of development without displacement and anti-gentrification strategies.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and this position will be open until filled. Applications should be emailed (PDF preferred) to email@example.com with subject “Community Development Coordinator”.
Complete applications include:
- Cover letter (1 page max) clearly outlining the specific skills, knowledge, and experience you bring to the job and how those are a good fit with the responsibilities of the position.
- A complete resume (2 pages max) detailing relevant experience, work history, education and accomplishments.
- [If advanced to finalist stage] 3 references, with contact information, and your relationship to the reference
APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are actively seeking to increase representation and develop the leadership of women, LGBTQ people, people with lived experience of economic injustices, and other underrepresented groups, including diverse API communities, both within the organization and the broader racial justice movement in Oregon and API communities. APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are equal opportunity employers. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.