Position Title: Real Estate Development Manager
Reports to: Community Development Director
Direct reports: n/a
Employment Classification: Regular, exempt
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Compensation: $51,385- $63,254, based on experience
Benefits: Generous 90% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K plan with employer contribution, subsidized transit pass, work from home stipend credit, paid time off & up to14 paid holidays annually.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About APANO CUF:
APANO Communities United Fund unites Asians and Pacific Islanders to build power, develop leaders, and advance equity through organizing, advocacy, community development, and cultural work. We envision a just world where Asians and Pacific Islanders and communities who share our aspirations and struggles have the power, resources, and voice to determine our own futures, and where we work in solidarity to drive political, social, economic, and cultural change. APANO Communities United Fund (CUF) is a 501(c)(3) organization that works closely with its affiliate 501(c)(4) organization, APANO AF.
APANO CUF is looking for a candidate with strong project management skills to assist in establishing our real estate development work focused on affordable housing and affordable commercial property. This position involves working alongside APANO CUF’s Community Development Corporation (CDC) advisory committee composed of technical and community experts to vet new development opportunities, work with a project team in securing opportunities, and participate in the development,construction, and financing processes.
The successful candidate will have a range of opportunities to develop skills, knowledge, and confidence in working for social justice and in real estate development. The ideal candidate is movement-oriented, and is excited to work to build a dynamic, diverse, inclusive, justice-oriented, thriving community. They will be results-oriented, responsive and responsible, self-aware, dynamic and a passionate individual who values and practices direct communication with their colleagues and team.
This is a hybrid position. Candidate must be comfortable going to construction sites and wear personal protected equipment. (Hard hat, safety glasses, boots, if applicable).
Community Driven Real Estate Development (100%)
- Work with APANO CUF’s Community Development Director to define project concepts and facilitate convening the CDC advisory committee and the APANO CUF board to develop internal governance structures and strategic direction.
- Evaluate the suitability of potential building sites for affordable housing with the guidance of consultants, staff, and other technical experts. Develop “GO/NO GO” scenarios and facilitate real estate acquisition as directed.
- Assist in developing strategies for future asset management and resident services as development projects are completed.
- Assist in project visioning and application processes for grants, loans, tax credits, rental assistance contracts, and other subsidies. Oversee limited community engagement processes as needed to prepare for potential applications.
The ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Must have excellent judgment and the ability to make and communicate critical decisions that align with APANO CUF’s goals, values, and mission.
- Skilled at managing multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Able to meet strict deadlines on a consistent basis.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills; communication and collaboration with team members, external partners, clients and the public.
- Able to develop and maintain positive professional working relationships with peers, public and private lenders, etc.
- Able to be flexible and adaptable as project timelines and priorities change
- Ability to quickly learn affordable housing financing tools including LIHTC, OAHTC, FHA loan products, USDA Rural Development, Project-Based HAP contracts, CDBG, HOME, bond programs, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
- Ability to explain technical terms and ideas to community members.
- Project management experience and community organizing experience.
- Commitment to racial justice, advocacy, and community development work.
Preferred, but not required:
- Fluent in spoken and written Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin), Vietnamese, Spanish or another language.
- Understand the principles of development without displacement and anti-gentrification strategies.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and this position will be open until filled. Priority will be given to applicants who submit their application by 8am PST on 10/21/22. Applications should be emailed (PDF preferred) to email@example.com with subject “Real Estate Development Manager”.
Complete applications include:
- Cover letter (1 page max) clearly outlining the specific skills, knowledge, and experience you bring to the job and how those are a good fit with the responsibilities of the position.
- A complete resume (2 pages max) detailing relevant experience, work history, education and accomplishments.
- [If advanced to finalist stage] 3 references, with contact information, and your relationship to the reference
APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are actively seeking to increase representation and develop the leadership of women, LGBTQ people, people with lived experience of economic injustices, and other underrepresented groups, including diverse API communities, both within the organization and the broader racial justice movement in Oregon and API communities. APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are equal opportunity employers. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.