Position Title: Small Business Advisor
Reports To: Business Advisor Manager
Duration: Regular Position
Hours: 1.0 Full-time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $51,385-$56,200 based on experience
Benefits: 90% employer-paid medical, dental, vision insurance, 401K plan with employer contribution, transit subsidy, cell phone credit, paid professional development opportunities, paid time off starting at three weeks per year, 14 paid holidays annually, and flexible schedule.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
APANO Communities United Fund (APANO CUF) is Oregon’s oldest and largest statewide Asian and Pacific Islander (API) organizing and advocacy group, with a legacy of policy wins and innovative community programs. APANO CUF is a 501c3 organization, affiliated with APANO, a 501c4 organization, working to achieve our larger vision of a just and equitable world where Asians and Pacific Islanders are fully engaged in the social, economic and political issues that affect us. APANO CUF’s key strategies are organizing, leadership development, civic engagement and policy advocacy, and cultural work. We are organizing and uniting low-income, limited English proficiency, immigrant and refugee API communities, activists, and allies statewide in order to improve opportunities and prosperity for all Oregonians. We increasingly work at the intersections of oppression, are committed to shifting the balance of power, and striving for systemic change in solidarity with communities experiencing oppression.
About the Position:
APANO CUF is looking for an individual who is passionate about working with and has strong cultural familiarity with the API community. The work in this position will be cultivating opportunities to win concrete change in the lives of Asian and Pacific Islanders in Oregon, and the larger world through supporting entrepreneurship, small business ownership, growth and development. This will create the opportunity to elevate our community through economic empowerment.
Our ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial and or small business ownership background and experience. They also are informed and comfortable working within diverse populations, are personable and comfortable cold-calling and reaching out to folks and are great at guiding them through business processes and connecting them with resources and experts. The Business Advisor reports to the Business Advisor Manager and has no supervisory responsibilities. They will reach out to small businesses and individuals and determine where the business is at in its life cycle, understand relevant business start up resources and case manage community members that wish to own, develop and grow their own small business, working closely with the Business Advisor Manager and passing folks on for technical assistance as business owners reach the appropriate level for doing so.
Business Resource Navigation (75%)
- Become familiar with business support resources and programs at the city, county, regional, state, and federal levels and navigate small business clients to relevant resources.
- Participate in outreach and light touch business support (program introduction, evaluation of business owners current tools, systems, and needs). Evaluate a business in its lifecycle and make recommendations for best types of support and resources.
- Provide services which include business assessment, program enrollment, application assistance, goal setting, opportunity tracking and development, business plan development, and ongoing coaching
- Guide clients to access additional programs to further their business, marketing, and finance plan
- Work collaboratively with organizational partners to ensure the participants reach their goals
Program Coordination and Data (25%)
- Assist in identifying and understanding business resources to develop an APANO program in Washington County, Multnomah County,and beyond to share as needed to small business owners and entrepreneurs
- Outreach and enrollment to local business owners, including demographic information collection
- Submit program activities to funders on quarterly basis.
- Collaborate on workshops/courses around related topics, help discover what is needed for these workshops
- Input data in timely manner, maintain contractually required information database system to track client information
The Business Advisor will have:
- Minimum 4 years of business entrepreneurship and/or ownership or relevant experience
- Self-starter, able to initiate client contacts, comfortable cold-calling and able to build foundations for long term relationships.
- Ability to work closely with individuals and community partners
- Highly organized, has extensive experience with tracking data and reporting.
- Sufficient written and spoken English proficiency to communicate thoroughly
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including public presentation skills
- Effective ability to navigate a personal computer, relevant software for word processing, calendaring, e-mail, data entry, and social media (Use of the Microsoft Office, Google products – Gmail, Google Docs, etc). Efficiently research and perform various tasks via the internet.
- Collaborative but also self-directed and able to work independently.
- Deep commitment to and vision for APANO’s mission and strategic plan, including an understanding of the role of grassroots community organizing in social change and movement building.
- Respect for and demonstrated experience working with Asian and Pacific Islander activists, and a deep understanding of issues affecting Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
Preferred, but not required:
- Asian and/or Pacific Islander language proficiency, both spoken and written.
Physical demands and working conditions: Position is a mix of sedentary and ambulatory; regularly required to walk. Dexterity necessary to operate a computer with substantial repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Able to lift and/or move up to 10-15 pounds regularly. The visual acuity to read and prepare/analyze data and figures. Ability to express/exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Majority of work is performed indoors. Local travel may be necessary. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and this position will be open until filled. Applications should be emailed (PDF preferred) to email@example.com with subject “Small Business Advisor”.
Complete applications include:
- Cover letter (1 page max) clearly outlining the specific skills, knowledge, and experience you bring to the job and how those are a good fit with the responsibilities of the position.
- A complete resume (2 pages max) detailing relevant experience, work history, education and accomplishments.
- [If advanced to finalist stage] 3 references, with contact information, and your relationship to the reference
APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are actively seeking to increase representation and develop the leadership of women, LGBTQ people, people with lived experience of economic injustices, and other underrepresented groups, including diverse API communities, both within the organization and the broader racial justice movement in Oregon and API communities. APANO and APANO Communities United Fund are equal opportunity employers. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.